I have worked in a law firm, in a big four law firm and with several agencies including the Australian Federal Police, Australian Crime Commission and the Australian Taxation Office.
As a lawyer, I have acted as a prosecutor, investigator and project leader for multi-agency or multi-jurisdictional projects.
I have worked on international tax matters for almost 8 years, including in Project Wickenby. I am the lead of the International Practice in the ATO.
How long have you been affiliated with The Tax Institute?
I have been affiliated with the Tax Institute for approximately 5 years.
What does the Financial Services Taxation Conference mean to you, and more broadly, to the tax industry?
It is an opportunity to learn more about the thoughts of practitioners and in-house tax advisers in regards to the BEPS issue. It is an opportunity for the tax industry to discuss current issues within the financial services area and developments related to base erosion and profit shifting.
What is the topic that you are presenting at the Financial Services Taxation Conference?
Australia’s response to the OECD’s BEPS policy.
What can attendees expect to learn from your session?
Information that will be covered includes:
- Definition of base erosion and profit shifting
- Australian government’s involvement as chair of the G20.
- ATO’s involvement in the BEPS appointment at the G20.
- Australian government support in relation to BEPS.
- Key ATO strategies including: international engagement, mitigation strategies, improved data, analysis, intelligence and risk assessment, rulings and advice, active compliance, law reform, improved governance and building capability
- Transfer pricing developments.
- International developments.
- What BEPS changes may mean for you?
What new or hot topics will you cover?
Transfer pricing developments and the proposed changes to thin capitalisation regime for the financial years starting on or after 1 July 2014.
How will attending your session help delegates help their clients?
It will assist delegates by developing their understanding of the changing landscape in regards to BEPS, which will aide them when providing advice to clients.
Which other sessions at the conference are you most interested in attending?
I am interested in attending Session 6A: FATCA – what is the state of play? and Session 6B: offshore banking units.
What do you like to do when you’re not knee-deep in tax?
In my free time I like to run, read and row (a small kayak presented on my last birthday).
Find out more about the conference and register now.